Here is the procedure to reset the waste ink counter (error 5B00) for a Canon IP3500, IP3600, IP3680:
To do this reset, you have to download the Canon IP3680 Service Tool: https://www.box.com/shared/fi583530hc
Step 1: Enter in Service Mode
- Turn off the printer without pulling the power cords.
- Hold down the "Resume" button and press the "Power" button.
- Keep holding down the "Power" button and let the "Resume" button go.
- Press the "Resume" button twice then release the two buttons.
- Now, the printer is in Service Mode state.
Step 2: Use the reset tool
- After you download the Service Tool, extract it and double click on "iP3680.exe"
- Click the "Reload" Button
- You will get a new USB port.
- Load some papers in your printer, press the "Main" Button once and wait until the printing is done.
- Press the "EEPROM Clear" button to clear EEPROM.
- Press the "EEPROM" button and the printer will print some text.
- Power off the printer and turn on.