- Run a command prompt and type the following: net use LPT2: \\servername\printer
- This sets up a behind-the-scenes connection to the printer.
- Go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2.
Solution with Windows 7:
- Go to start and type in "cmd" in the search box.
- Right click on cmd and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Type this command net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes (Substitute #, server, printer as appropriate for your network.)
- Add your printer locally using the LPT# port. If your laptop has no parallel cable then use LPT1.