Error 5100 on Canon printers

 MAJ 17/09/14

Error 5100 appears on these Canon printers: MP140, MP150, MP160, MP190, MP210, MP220,  MP800, MP810, MP170, MP180, MP450, MP460, MP830, MP970, MP980, MP240, MP250, MP260, MP270, MP480, MP500, MP510, MP520, MP530, MP540, MP620, MP550, MP560, MP610, MP630, MP800, MP810, MP830, MP970, MP980, MG2100, MG3100, MG4100, MG5100, MP640, MP990, MG5200, MG5300, MG6100, MG6200, MG8100, MG8200

It's a Carriage error.

Solution 1:
  • Look inside for a tiny object like a piece of paper, a staple...

Solution 2:
  • The purge cap (the white sliding mechanism that the print head parks to when it's not in use) may be not lubricated well enough . Lubricate the sliders with some white grease (don't get it on the small wipers or the black caps); this repair probably require to remove the right panel off of the printer to gain access to the purge mechanism.

Solution 3:
  • Clean the timing strip: there is a thin plastic strip running across the width in front of and below the drive belt: there are fine black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets a piece of crud on it, you get an error during the start-up sequence.Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free tissue.
  • photo: 
(you can see a transparent horizontal strip object which controls the movement of the printer head slots.)


Error code list by brand

    24 comments:

    Mugsy said...

    Photos,please.

    madonna said...

    how to reset the canon pixma 2770 and 2700 the ink counter is full

    Mugsy said...

    No longer own the 5100.

    Replaced the printer last November.

    JimDu said...

    I was just about the throw out the printer... But solution #3 worked perfectly for me. Sure enough the timing strip had grease all over it. It even fixed the print head alignment! Thanks for the Post and the Pic!!

    nash said...

    Solution #1 worked. Thanks!
    I still have to try solution #2 because I don't have a grease yet. No idea what grease to use.
    But anyways, a million thanks again. It helped solve the error on our printer. It also improve the alignment. =)

    rajendra lal said...

    Thanks for useful idea..my printer now works without problem..very thanks from rajendra Computer Point Technical College India

    Unknown said...

    thank you so much, solution #3 works,its great!

    Ellen said...

    Thank you so much for this info. My printer works well after I tried solution #3. God bless!

    Mikki Shiu said...

    Solution #3 had worked for me. This blog post really helped me a lot. thank you :)

    Anonymous said...

    I wanted to cry. I tried everything the operating manual said to do - at least 3-4 times and I kept getting the 5100 error message. Thank you so much for your tips, because solution 3 worked like a charm. I have a Cannon MX432. Thanx a million! I am back in business.

    Anonymous said...

    Gud Day!!

    got cha!!! tnx the guide
    god bless you all..:)

    ponda <=====

    Double T said...

    Great! Solution #1 worked for me. Found jammed paper in a weird spot. Removed it. And all's well.

    Daniel said...

    #3 Worked for me. Big thanks!

    Anonymous said...

    Mechi:
    Thanks a million. Nr. 3 worked, it also solved the problem with the alignment.
    Januari 16, 2013

    Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the tip. Step 3 solved my problem. People like you make a difference ... Thanks

    Anonymous said...

    thanks :)

    Tracy said...

    I keep getting error 5100 and I have tried all your suggestions , wondering what else I could try it would print or scan. Thanks

    Anonymous said...

    thank u solution #3 solved my problem

    Anonymous said...

    hi! big thanks.. solution # 3 was effective.. :)

    A Parent said...

    I thank you for the tips. I cleaned the transparent strip,
    and it now works like a charm.
    Happy New Year!!!

    Daisy Penz said...

    I've been pissed the whole day. been so busy and the printer don't work at all...error 5100 keeps on appearing..i tried millions of possible solution but no to avail.. till I tried Solution# 1..it's like a magic.. now I have all the reason to smile.. thanks a lot for the great help

    Anonymous said...

    That transparent strip was the key for me. I cleaned it with a tissue and now the printer works. Thank you.

    Canon MP560
    *would print 3 or 4 pages and then pop the 5100 code. Page immediately preceding the error had stutters/burred lines of text on it.

    GerryG said...

    Thank you so much for this info. My printer works well after I tried solution #3. God bless!

    Santi said...

    Thanks a bunch!

    #3 Worked - I cleaned it with a Q-tip with alcohol.