Skip to main content

Error oxc18a0001 or 0xc18a0001 on HP printers




Error seen on printers HP: HP Photosmart 3210, 7280, C5180, C6280,  HP photosmart 8250...


Solution 1:

1. Press and hold "left arrow" key
2. Press the "setup" key and release both keys
3. Press and release the "OK" button
4. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”. 2. Press and release the “OK” button.
5. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
6. Press and release the “OK” button.
7. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
8. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
9. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
10. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
11. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
12. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK.
13. If the printer has already initialized, then go to the next step. If not, the printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.
14. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.
15. If the error is still there, or reoccurs the printer is already defective.


Solution 2:
  1. Press the On button to turn the printer off.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
  3. Remove all the ink cartridges.
  4. Wait two minutes.
  5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
  6. Press the On button to turn the printer on.
  7. Install the ink cartridges when prompted.

Solution 3 ( conversation with a HP tech):

james cowan: hp error code 0xc18a0001
Earnest: I will assist you in this regard
james cowan: great
Earnest: I understand that a error code with 0xc18a0001 with "Ink System failure" is displayed on the front panel of the All-In-One printer. Am I correct?
james cowan: correct
Earnest: Thank you for confirmation
Earnest: May I have the model number of All-In-One you are using?
james cowan: c6250
Earnest: Thank you for information.
Earnest: James, please let me know the room temperature in which printer is replaced
james cowan: 67 degrees f
Earnest: Okay
Earnest: Please perform the below steps on the front panel of the printer to resolve the issue
james cowan: ok
Earnest: Press and hold the "left arrow" key.
Press the "Setup" key and release both keys, Display should say "Enter Special Key Combo"
Press and release the "OK" button.
Earnest: Please ignore the above steps, James
james cowan: ok yes nothing seemed to do anything
Earnest: Please perform the below steps on the front panel of the printer
Earnest: Press and Hold the "Print Photos" &"Red Eye Removal" buttons. Release both buttons. Display should say"Enter Special Key Combo"
Press and release in sequence"Red Eye Removal","Print Photos","Red Eye Removal"
Earnest: Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0616R)
james cowan: COxxFN0723BR
Earnest: Okay
Earnest: 2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu
james cowan: ok
Earnest: 3. Press and release the "OK" button.
james cowan: ok and it says hardware failure status
Earnest: Display should say "Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear".
Earnest: Press and release the "OK" Button. Message changes to "Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue".
Earnest: Press and release the "CANCEL" button as many times as necessary, so that, either the "Welcome to Photosmart Express" screen appears, or, the "Ink System Failure" screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
james cowan: ok
Earnest: Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
Earnest: Let me know once you are done with the above steps
james cowan: ok its unplugged
Earnest: Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
Earnest: Turn the unit on. The printer may display message "USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER" followed by "PRESS OK TO CONTINUE". Press OK.
james cowan: ok
Earnest: Let me know the message displaying on the front panel of the printer
james cowan: printer preparation occuring - do not interrupt
Earnest: Okay
james cowan: ok its done
Earnest: Let us print a self test page from the printer now
james cowan: ok deal
Earnest: 1) Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain, white paper into the input tray.
2) Make sure that the printer is on and loaded with unused plain, white paper.
3) Press Setup . The Setup menu appears.
4) Press the down arrow button to select Tools , and then press OK .
5) Press the down arrow button to select Self-test Report , and press OK . The self-test report prints.
james cowan: ok printing
Earnest: Okay, please check whether all the colors pritned perfectly on the test page
james cowan: perfect
Earnest: Great..Cheers!!!
james cowan: thank you very much
Earnest: James, now you can continue using the printer
Earnest: I appreciate your efforts and patience in trying to resolve the issue.


Solution 4:
  • Press and Hold the “Print Photos” &”Red Eye Removal” buttons. Release both buttons. Display should say”Enter Special Key Combo”
  • Press and release in sequence”Red Eye Removal”,”Print Photos”,”Red Eye Removal”. Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev: COxxFN0723BR (or something like that)
  • Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu"
    Press and release the “OK” button.
  • Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
    Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
  • Press and release the “CANCEL”(Annuler) button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
  • Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
  • Wait 60 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
  • Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK.
  • the printer will get ready as if it were starting perfectly for a first time, it will say something like: printer preparation occuring - do not interrupt
     
  • print a test page:
1) Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain, white paper into the input tray.
2) Make sure that the printer is on and loaded with unused plain, white paper.
3) Press Setup . The Setup menu appears.
4) Press the down arrow button to select Tools , and then press OK .
5) Press the down arrow button to select Self-test Report , and press OK . The self-test report prints.

Solution 5:

Comments

Botolo said…
Wow, great, thank you very much, you just solved my problem!
rififipa said…
You solved also my same problem on a C6180.
Thanks a lot to have taken such care in describing the salvatory procedure, 1st one for me.
Bogdan said…
Heeey!!! Tks a lot!!!you just solved my problem too!
Unknown said…
Fantastic!!! Fixya site just said that my printer was dead and that I would need to replace it. I followed your advice and all works fine - THANK YOU
Mary Beth said…
Solution One worked! Thank you so much; I thought I'd have to buy a new one.
Unknown said…
muchisimas gracias, quedo lista la impresora,

gracias
Pinder92 said…
God Bless!!! #4 worked for me. I was in the middle of a project with deadline in 2 days...Thank you.
Unknown said…
None of these solutions are working with my HP Photosmart 8250. Also, I use a mac, so the whole firmware .exe thing worn't work with me... Please help!

the buttons on my machine are as follows:
on/off, Instant Share, Photo Tray, Layout, Menu, D(irectional)-pad left, D-Pad right, D-Pad up, D-Pad down, OK, Zoom +, Zoom -, Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Select Photos, Print, and Cancel.

Please tell me what to do!!!!
Sue K said…
I fixed my HP Photosmart D7460 this morning with solution #4. Thank you for posting it.
Sue K said…
I fixed my HP Photosmart D7460 with Solution #4 this morning.
Sue K said…
And Thank You for posting it! (see above)
TCB said…
From Denmark a big thank you - IT WORKED!!!
Ruud Vermeij said…
And today you saved my day!
Thanks
I.K said…
WORKED FOR ME ON photosmart D7460 :)
drb said…
Worked! Wow! Thanks!
traff08 said…
cool solution 4 worked for me
thanx
Sally said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally said…
HAPPY me! The first solution worked like a charm! Saved me time, $ and FRUSTRATION (speaking over the phone to someone I CAN'T understand!)
VERA said…
THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
EASY AND FAST.
Anonymous said…
Really- Nice blog that useful for me.....
printer ink toowoomba
Montana803 said…
Solution 4 ROCKED IT! Thought I might have to replace my printer.
Montana803 said…
Solution #4 ROCKED IT! Thought I might need to get a new printer. Appreciate the thorough guidance.
JFK said…
***** GREAT POST. Worked liked a charm !! *****
Jessica said…
Came online to look for solutions and found your post right away. Followed Solution 1 and it worked!! Thank you so muuuch!!
Unknown said…
Thank you SO much!!! It took about an hour of trying various solutions. Then I more carefully read Solution #1, and that worked! I missed pressing OK after pressing the left button / Setup, so I was going into the wrong menus. I also missed numbers 10 and 11, where you said you have to disconnect the power cord from the printer AND from the wall. When I followed your directions perfectly, my printer was FIXED! Yahoooo, thank you so much!
Robin said…
Many thanks for a perfect solution 1. My C5180 is a good printer and I am pleased I do not have to replace it. As an engineer, I would love to know the reason for the failure. Would appreciate a brief explanation if possible. Thanks again.
Anonymous said…
Great, you solve also my same problem on a c7180!!! :-))

Anonymous said…
Thank you 1000 times. Solution 1 worked for my printer. I was just about to give up (= buy a new printer) when I found your solution. You saved me a three hour round trip to the next shop and £90 to buy a new printer (apart from that I really love my C5180 and do not want to give it up). I am very happy now. :-)
Anonymous said…
#4 did it. Thanks!
Unknown said…
I have tried the above and now m,y printer tell me to: Use the cartridges that was delivered with the printer - please advise me a way out of this mess - thanks in advance
Hugo
analuchisch said…
You are a star!! I did #2 and then #1 and it has sorted problem on my HP C5180!!
Thanks a Lot!
Anonymous said…
i am using a d7360, bought a new black, which came along with a new chip. now i get the 0xc 18a0001. just before this, i could print with all colors cept black, even though all the five colors had expired chips. now it states the ink failure, and wont print anything.
Anonymous said…
Paul b said ...

Brilliant solution which worked perfectly #4. Many, many, many thanks.
Anonymous said…
I just used #3 and it solved my problem. You rock!
Anonymous said…
leuco said:
thanks, all ok, great post very smart and clearly, again, thank you.
Anonymous said…
Paldies sanaca.
Joe Central Valley CA said…
This is why I blog and help too. Your help prevented pollution and help me save some money in replacing this wonderful machine. I bought the Hp C6180 in CIRCUIT CITY STORE just before they closed down in my area for good. Is one of the best machines until this error: 0xc18a0001. I guess the machines logs and stops the unit from working until resetting the error and unit. I guess an error guide drum unit. Solution #1 worked and fixed reset unit. It's getting old like me lol. It has been almost 10 years since I bought it. Thank you. Great work. :D
Anonymous said…
Thank You so much. Had just renewed all my inks and was getting a little anxious that I may have to purchase another pc.
Unknown said…
Wow,,thanks very much. #4 Just solved my problems.
gorgonzola said…
Nbr 4, works for C6280, thanks
Unknown said…
You have solved my problems as well. Thank you so much. You really know what you are doing.........We need more people like you to save us money now in this time.
Thanks a million.
yorams2 said…
worked for me too !!!!
Paul D said…
Option #1 worked the second time through. I cleared the error code twice the second time. After completing the process and restarting, the printer worked just fine - Photosmart C6180.

Many thanks
john said…
Thanks so much. I was researching a new printer when I decided to google the error code ... I'm now up and running. #3 worked for me.
Anonymous said…
Solution 3 worked a treat - amazing, well done. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Just fixed my HP C5180 - thank you for your help!
Anonymous said…
After HP told me my C6270 couldn't be fixed and tried to sell me a new printer I tried each of these solutions and found that Solution 4 worked for me. Got to be happy about that. Thanks for advice, shame HP aren't so accommodating
Simone said…
Thnx a million!!!!
Anonymous said…
The first one solved my issue, thanks a lot.
Anonymous said…
I used solution 1 and was in a very nervous state as such corrections are not my best suit!

I cleared my desk, rearranged the printer and lap top side by side, closed the blinds and started out. All went well. I did not receive the test messages at the end so printed a small spread sheet which was ok. Thank you all very much; I chose version 1 as it seemed to be the favourite and would have gone on the version 4 if ! did not work.

Thank you all.
Misst said…
I just want to say a big thanks! My printer is about 7 years old and use it but not very often. I went to use it one day and it said my ink expired so I inserted a new ink and got the error message code. I went to HP'S website and found no hope and given the age, tech support is out of the question. I typed in the error code and your blog came up. I first tried the top solutions with no help but step 3 worked and my printer is now functional. Thank you so much for posting this information so people like me that don't have support available can fix an easy problem and not have to get the printer serviced or purchase a new one. I am extremely appreciative for your help in getting my printer back to working order.
Anonymous said…
I've just fixed my HP Photosmart C7280 using a combination of Solutions 3 & 4. Brilliant help, many thanks.
Ilona said…
Thanks a lot for solutions. I've just fixed my HP C7180 printer!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLuh9Al3mtg
Anonymous said…
Thanks for fix, solution #2 worked
Anonymous said…
I love the internet! I had two HP printers with this error and solution number one fixed them both! Thank you!!
Anonymous said…
though i need the help of my son to try the solution but it worked. thank you so much.
Anonymous said…
What is so crazy is the HP help site don't know how to fix it, it says printer head needs replaced,very expensive,they just want you to buy another printer, but this site fixed it by just pressing buttons, thsnk you very much, great info
Unknown said…
Excellent job...you da man or woman! Now I just need help in printing in black...it's now working for some reason. Any suggestions?
Unknown said…
You my friend are a Legend!
Anonymous said…
I have worked on this error since 10 am and just got it fixed per your post at 5:12 pm. HP is no help at all! Thank you so much for your great help!
Danhassib said…
Great! You've saved me money and time. Thanks a million times.
HP C5180
Danhassib said…
Solution #1 saved me
Danhassib said…
Solution #1 saved me
Unknown said…
Searched photosmart C7250 and the error # and found you.Tried one and two with no success then tried three that is pressing down red eye and print photos together and releasing with success.Carried on through the process and had to repeat one part until the clear word showed and then I completed the process and the print color test was perfect.
This is crazy good that this goes back to Nov 2008 and I have just used this with complete success in May 2017.That is approx 9 yrs you have served us.Blessings James.
Anonymous said…
Thank you, thank you - it worked on my C7280 that I had just purchased all new ink for. I thought it was time for a new printer and a waste of all that new ink !
Unknown said…
Solution 4 worked a treat on my HP C6280. Slight problem is that black now seems to be a dark brown. Wonder if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it? Well done for putting up this useful information. Thanks, Pauline
Unknown said…
Thank you! this worked for my HP Photosmart c5180 all-in-one! I was sad I thought I had to get a new printer, but solution one worked! I was able to print the test page, hoping it keeps working for other print outs. I'm scared to turn it off! haha
Unknown said…
I think I will use the 5 solution. Tried from 1 to 4 several times and did not work.
Thank you.
Unknown said…
Solution 4 worked on my HP Photosmart C7280 All-In-One. Thank you very much!
Anonymous said…
Number worked.Thank you soooo much.Was getting ready to dumpy my C6280 photosmart all in one.Saved my $ and time.You are the best.
Anonymous said…
# 4 worked.Thanks
Unknown said…
Solution #3 worked on my C7280. Just skip down to where the HP support guy corrects himself from the instructions in #1 and #2 and jumps down to the hold [Red Eye Removal] + [Print Photos] buttons together to start the error clearance.
Anonymous said…
I tried solution #2 and now my printer won't power up at all :-(
Anonymous said…
Earlier I posted that my printer wouldn't "power up at all" after trying Solution #2. Later, I again unplugged and plugged it back in and was able to turn printer back on. I then used Solution 1 and it worked! I got rid of the error message and the printer worked, however, I have a light green copy of the Sunday crossword -- which was the original problem before the error message.
But thank you SO much for posting the solution options for the error message!
Anonymous said…
Fantastic, solution 1 fixed the problem
Tony S. Jamal said…
Thanks a lot bro, I highly appreciate your post, it safe me so much time and stress. You are a good person, may God bless you and your family. I hope I could get in contact with you to help me with advice on how to repair other printers, my email address is mrcheaks2008@yahoo.com, please email at at any time.
sr161 said…
Many thanks for Solution 4 it worked for me, after much head scratching and trying the other solutions that didn't work. I was about to buy a new printer but now I don't need to. Saved some plastic waste as well!

Nancy A said…
Thank you so much. Solution 1 worked for me.
Anonymous said…
Hi, for solving the 0xc18a0001 on HP Photosmart 3210:

Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the printer off.
Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and the turn it back on.
You will have to turn the printer off twice and then it will recalibrate.

That solved it for me!

With regards!
Olivier
Anonymous said…
Thank you soooo much...
Solution #4 worked for me.
Was about to buy a new printer.
Rhe world needs more people like you...
God bless from Montreal
Unknown said…
Thank you for your wonderful printer support site. Solution 4 also worked for my HP Photosmart C7280 with an error of Ink System Failure, Error 0xc18a0101.

All the Support Links on the HP printer support site seem to be broken; I found your site using a google search.
Unknown said…
Thank You.
Solution #4 worked on HP Photosmart D7260
Error 0xc18a0001
Anonymous said…
OMG, I thought my ol' reliable was KAPUT. Solution #2 did the trick. My HP C6280 is so simple and reliable I wish, like the VW Beetle, that HP would just keep reissuing it forever.
Anyway, thanks mightily for the fix for Print Error 0xc18a0001 found on Google. Hurray!

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix error B200 on canon Printers

MAJ11/06/17 Error B200 means the printhead voltage or temperature is not normal. The Printhead could be defective.... but first, try these solutions below: Solution 1 : Disconnect the power cable from the printer. Wait 1 hour. Connect the power cable Solution 2 : Check and Clean Head contact pin condition of the carriage unit Check Cable connection especially the carriage FFC Solution 3 : Turn off the power Open the panel Turn on the power Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left. Let it go past half way Before print carriage reaches left hand side shut the cover. Leave the Printer turned on Solution 4 : Unplug the power cable. Open the printer Push the whole print head mechanic to the center While the printer still open, plug the power and turn it ON.  When the printhead still moving and is going to the very LEFT, close the cover.  Wait until its boot up.  Solution 4a: Take out all of the ink cartridges Lift up the gr

How to solve error code 006 with Canon Service Tool V3400

MAJ 25/08/17 The Service Tool V3400 allow to reset the counter of some Canon printers. For the error code 006 , try this : Solution 1: Check your cartridges: an empty cartridge can lead to error 006 Solution 2 : After you avec clicked on "Main", wait a few minutes.  If the error still here, restarts the Service Tool Solution 3 : Close the service tool Disconnect the USB cable from the printer After 10 seconds, plug back the cable to the printer On Windows, click next when appears "New device" Open the service tool

How to solve error B204 on Canon Maxify printers

The error B204 could happen after a cartridge replacement. First of all, when installing, remove the cartridges from the plastic package, but do not drill any plastic membranes, as this will cause this error when placing the cartridge. The error may also appear if you change a completely empty cartridge: when installing a full cartridge, the printer enters a cleaning cycle, but the printhead has not yet received ink from the newly inserted cartridge. Here are some tips to cancel this error B204:: Solution 1: Remove the cartridges Power the printer for 2 minutes Switch on the printer Install the cartrdiges Solution 2: Switch on the printer Unplug  the power cable Open the cover Move the print head carriage manually to the usual place where it goes for the cartridge change (If the printhead carriage is not movable, reconnect and then turn on the printer, then unplug it again when the head carriage is in the moving position). Change the cartridges. Close the fr